For the majority of us, just reaching a level of determination to get in shape is a big step. Then you have to maintain the routine! Not all of us want to, or are able to, pay a premium cost for gym memberships, a personal trainer, the drive to the facilities, expensive gym equipment…and the list goes on. But, the good news is that there ARE ways to get active without paying an arm and a leg. Even better, some have found these five free exercise/activities are more convenient for their busy schedules!
- Fitness Apps. The beauty of downloading an app with workout routines and ideas, is that you can do it anywhere, anytime, and with anyone. It’s almost as if you have a personal trainer in your pocket! Apps like Weight Loss Fitness and 30 Day Fitness Challenge (these require a subscription for full access though) are some of the highest rated on the iOS App Store.
- Use household items, even your kids, as free weights. If your kids are grown, then stick to the household items. If you have young children, though, getting them to help you workout can be a great and fun way to get them involved and active with you.
- Nature Trails and National Parks. You simply can’t beat the outdoors. Not only are you getting fresh air but the peace and quiet from traffic, or the mental list of a billion things to do, can help your sleep quality and reduce stress. To make it fun, pick new locations and listen to an audiobook or your favorite tunes. Even better, bring a partner or close friend.
- Commercial Crunches. One study revealed that Americans spend, on average, five hours and four minutes watching television per DAY. If we spent that much time working out each day, we’d all walk around ripped. So the next time you’re watching your favorite program, challenge yourself to move during commercial breaks. Each commercial break, do jumping jacks, crunches, squats, or even run in place. It may not seem as impactful, but just remember for every forty-five minute show, you’re getting your blood pumping for 15 minutes!
- Bike to Work. If you live relatively close to where you work and have safe weather conditions, this is a great way to get ready for the work day or destress from that meeting that wouldn’t end. You’ll also save on your vehicle’s gas and mileage! Some of the healthiest people in Europe bike to work… so maybe there’s something to it!